We all have days when we feel discouraged. You could have simply woken up on the wrong side of the bed, or perhaps you’ve experienced a setback in reaching a personal or professional goal.
But do you know how to feel better? You probably have a few go-to activities, but it’s important for you to have a substantial list – one that doesn’t include things like food, alcohol, drugs or other addictive substances. By mindlessly consuming food or other substances, you can trick your body into feeling happy for a moment, but you’re really doing more harm than good. You need to address your problems head-on. Here’s how to feel better about yourself, starting now.
HOW TO FEEL BETTER: TAKING CHARGE OF YOUR EMOTIONS The number one way to feel better is to recognize that you are in charge of your emotions. The next time you feel sad or upset, follow these three steps. You’ll feel positive and empowered.
1. LET YOURSELF FEEL Happiness is a state of mind that acts as your center – you always come back to it. But that doesn’t mean you can’t feel anything else. In fact, allowing yourself to acknowledge, feel and work through other emotions is a big part of emotional fitness. Identify what you’re feeling and ask yourself why you feel that way.
2. PRACTICE GRATITUDE Humans have emotions for a reason. They’re here to teach us lessons and help us grow. Be thankful for them – and practice gratitude in all other aspects of your life as well. When you adopt an abundance mindset, you’ll focus on what you have instead of what you don’t have. And that’s one of the best lessons in how to feel better.
3. CHANGE YOUR MINDSET It’s important to let yourself feel, but don’t dwell on your feelings. Try to find the lesson in them instead. Then, you can change your mindset by replacing negative thoughts with positive ones. Instead of being sad, remember good times. Instead of being upset about a setback at work, focus on how you can improve in the future. Where focus goes, energy flows, so make sure your energy is going in the right direction
4. SING ALONG WITH YOUR FAVORITE SONG This one is just plain fun. Put on your favorite song and sing your heart out. Add some dancing, too – moving your body is good for your soul.
5. WATCH A FUNNY MOVIE Even if you’re not in the mood for humor, you can trick your mind into being in a good mood by watching something funny. Laughter is contagious!
6. CALL A FRIEND We all crave connection, and sometimes texting just doesn’t cut it. Hearing your best friend’s voice could be just what you need.
7. TURN OFF SOCIAL MEDIA Social connections are essential – but social media can lead to major feelings of inadequacy and jealousy. Take a break.
8. SPEND AN AFTERNOON WITH YOUR FAMILY They are what life is really about. Remind yourself why you work so hard by simply being present with them.
9. TAKE A WARM BATH Self-care is essential to learning how to feel better about yourself. Add some candles or essential oils for extra relaxation.
10. READ A BOOK Escaping into a book is a good way to take your mind off things. Reading reduces stress and can even help you sleep.
11. TAKE A WALK THROUGH THE PARK Both nature and exercise are good for your mental health. A walk in the park is a win-win.Create your own personal list, and the next time you feel disassociated from pleasure and closer to pain, pull out your list and change your state of mind. The more you practice, the easier you’ll find it to move into the positive emotions that make life meaningful and enjoyable.